Spinach and Pine Nut Quiche:
1 frozen 9-inch ready-made whole wheat pie crust
1.5 Tablespoon olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, sliced
6 cups fresh spinach leaves, washed and dried
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 teaspoon dried sage or 1 Tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
½ cup pine nuts, toasted
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 large red potato, steamed until firm-tender, sliced ¼ inch thick
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the piecrust from the freezer and thaw for ten minutes. Prick the bottom with a fork and bake for 7 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove the crust from the oven to cool.
2. Heat the olive oil in a medium sauté pan. Add the garlic, spinach, salt, pepper and sage. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute, or until the spinach is just wilted. Stir in the pine nuts.
3. In a small bowl, mix the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. In another bowl, whisk the milk and eggs together.
4. Sprinkle ¼ cup of cheese mixture on the piecrust. Top with half the remaining spinach mixture. Place the potato slices on top of the spinach. Add half the remaining cheese mixture and then the remaining spinach mixture. Top with the rest of the cheese.
5. Place the pie pan on a sheet pan. Carefully pour in the milk mixture. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool slightly before cutting.