Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Coleslaw

Those of you that know me, which is like... everybody, you should know that I have had a fascination with Las Margaritas coleslaw for years now. I've tried several times to get the recipe out of Gabriel and Jose Louis, not to mention several others. I've even considered getting a job there as the token white guy washing dishes to see if I could somehow get turned on to the recipe.

But hey.
I don't need the recipe. This one works just fine for me...

You'll need some Ingredients.
Like an onion named Ingrid, and seasonings.
 
The base is, of course, cabbage. You want to shred your cabbage. So take this...


And turn it into this...


Next you'll want to add some vegetables. I usually put in one whole sweet onion, shredded like the cabbage, and a handful of baby carrots. I've seen people use bell peppers here too, but due to some wicked cases of heartburn in the past, I don't need no stinking peppers!


Now make the dressing.

For the dressing combine:
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 cup cider vinegar
in a saucepan over medium heat. Then bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.


Pour the dressing over the cabbage and toss well. Then cover and refrigerate.

This slaw is tangy and really complements smoked meats.
Hint... Hint...
(someone make me a pulled pork sandwich!)

4 comments:

  1. Did you watch that blonde chick you like on pbs again? They made pulled pork sandwiches and zesty coleslaw the other night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I could use some pulled pork too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assume you mean Julia Collin Davison from America's Test Kitchen.
    No, I didn't see her make pulled pork and zesty coleslaw... but now you know one of the reasons I like her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... I thought that they used oregano in their slaw... but maybe I'm thinking of their fresh salsa, and it has been YEARS since I've been in there anyway.

    ReplyDelete