Saturday, March 21, 2009

Aebleskivers!

A while back I heard a tall tale about a group of famished war weary Viking invaders retiring from battle and replenishing there strength by eating pancakes. The shields that had once been flat and smooth and provided double duty as a camp griddle now were completely covered in dents and dings. Not to be discouraged the proud Viking invaders made their beloved pancakes in the dents and a new tradition was born spherical pancakes filled with apple. Or so they say. At least some of them...
I found a recipe online called "Great-Grandma Hansen's Aebleskiver Recipe." and thought, "Hey I'll use that." but then I found this one...
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1 tbsp ground Cardamom
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp madagasgar bourbon vanilla
2 cups buttermilk

I also figured I might make a variety of fillings. you know, Savory Sausage and Havarti, Huckleberry, Blueberry, Chocolate you know, that kind of thing. so everyone should run out and buy a monk pan and start making these tasty little bites. I mean we are Danish afterall. Think tasty little donut pancakes...

2 comments:

  1. So, did they taste good? Where'd you get your pan? Did you really put a whole tablespoon of cardamom in them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were wonderful! I really liked the sausage and cheese. Which is the way I get them at "The Old European". I got the pan at Mr. J's Culinary Essentials 10116 NE 8th St. Bellevue, WA 98004 years ago. Yes I did put a whole TBSP of Cardamom in them.

    ReplyDelete